Outrunning the Corona

masexton2
Latest posts by masexton2 (see all)
UAF campus at night
UAF students still in town are able to run on campus and the largely empty trail system while maintaining social distancing.

By Melanie Sexton

As the University of Alaska Fairbanks spring semester approaches its end, so does a running adventure.

Three weeks ago, seven UAF students decided to challenge themselves by running 100 miles during the month of April. Their goal: Encouraging each other to remain active during the Corona virus outbreak.

With only seven days left in the month, the runners continue to whittle down the miles. For each of them, this challenge has been more than just a way to keep fit, all have been drawing inspiration from the effort in a different ways. 

image of Sabrina White
Sabrina White after a night run in Nenana, Alaska.

Sabrina White uses her runs thinking about God, praying, and listening to podcasts and worship music. “It’s a really good time for me and Him to hang out and get some alone time,’ she says. Her challenge has evolved. “I am currently ten miles behind the pace, but I still feel really relaxed.

“It’s now just about getting out more.’

Dalton Hoy’s view of the challenge has also expanded. “I’ve been trying to run a really fast mile time and knock that down,’ he says. “But also I’ve just been running for fun.’

Benjamin Fix maintains that running is the break he needs in his day. “It’s been a great way to split up my day and get out more.’ Additionally, Fix uses this time to meditate and pray. “I think about what I am reading in the bible and think through the situations I am going through.’ 

Many are noticing how their community has changed over the past months. Jaylynn Martinez says that UAF activity has increased. “I’ve noticed a lot more people outside running and biking on campus.’

Fix echoed this statement. Yet as the foot traffic is increasing, he’s noticed that passersrbye are still careful to maintain at least 6-feet of space. “People understand social distancing and will often cross the street so there is more distance.’

A similar trend applies Juneau. Hoy has noticed an increase in the number of people are out and about in the town. “I see a lot more of my friends out walking with their family, and that’s something you wouldn’t normally see.’ Hoy also noticed people of Juneau are maintaining the guidelines of COVID-19. “A lot are wearing masks, and any time I pass someone on the street, they make sure to cross over.’

In Nenana however, foot traffic has seemed to lessen, according to White. “There has not been anyone out in the streets, no cars, and it’s really sad. But I saw a rabbit the other day, so that was cool!’

While many of the students are enjoying the running challenge, Shaeanne Dohse has been dealing with a setback. While out on a run, Dohse landed wrong, fracturing and dislocating her ankle. “It really sucks,’ she says. “I really looked forward to getting out and going for a run or walk every day, and now I have to wear a boot for six weeks.’ Dohse expects she will be resting her ankle for months in order to properly heal

Taylor Blackstone appreciates being in touch with her UAF friends, despite being physically separated. “Connecting with everyone throughout the week has been wonderful. Seeing their faces and hearing their running stories helps to keep our friendships alive.’ Blackstone looks forward to the upcoming fall semester in Fairbanks. “It will be fun to go on runs together once the Corona bans are lifted!’

Melanie Sexton, a 20-year-old from Nikiski, Alaska is a UAF sophomore working toward her Communications major with a minor in Outdoor Leadership. She aspires for a career focused on various interpersonal relationships and their interactions.

In her spare time, Sexton loves drinking coffee, cross country skiing, and spending time with her wonderful friends and family. Due to Corona virus complications, she temporarily relocated back with her family in Soldotna, where she continues to work and recreate.

About masexton2

Melanie Sexton, a 19-year-old from Nikiski, Alaska is a sophomore attending the University of Alaska Fairbanks, working toward earning her Communications major with a minor in Outdoor Leadership. Melanie hopes to work in a career focused on various interpersonal relationships and their interactions. In her spare time, Sexton loves drinking coffee, running on the trails, and spending time with her wonderful friends and family. Due to Corona virus complications, Sexton has temporarily relocated to Soldotna to live with her family, where she continues to work and recreate.