“I Don’t Intend to Win.”

jmaeng
Latest posts by jmaeng (see all)
City council candidate Charles Foster III, sporting his purple “furry” eared hat, describing the lifestyle to student reporter Jung Woo Maeng.

Here’s what a trio of losing candidates, two newcomers and a familiar grizzled face, had to say about their participation in recent city and borough elections. 

“Basically, I guess I should say I’m running for the sake of running,’ said Assembly Seat B candidate Charles Foster III. “To learn more about it, but also my displeasure with the nation, the political landscape, and for blue-collar workers like me who have not really benefited from legislation like the Tax  Cuts and Jobs Act amongst other things.’ Foster was referring to a 2017 federal law, which “changed deductions, depreciation, expensing, tax credits and other tax items that affect businesses, according to  Internal Revenue Service website. 

Foster participates in the “furry community,’  he said, describing it as a “cross between Comicon and Burning Man with heavy emphasis on costuming.’ Comicon is a convention where people enjoy comics and anime, and Burning Man is a summer music festival, which takes place in Nevada. “It’s a very grassroots,’ Foster said, “and very creative yet eccentric community where we basically dress up as giant animal people and create art and content.’

Joanne Borges running for borough Assembly Seat B. Her family originates from Puerto Rico, she was born in New York.

“I’m here to open the doors for many,’ said,’Borges, who takes offence at being singled out as a person of color Everyone here refers to me as a person of color which I find very insulting.’ 

Assembly Seat B results

Frank Turnery, making his third bid for mayor, identified himself as a kind of “conscious awareness candidate on subject matters that the city council doesn’t it address.’ 

The two topics he’s really passionate about are race discrimination in the jury system and organization of police in Fairbanks.Turnery said he specifically reduce nepotism in the police. He also favors  possible use of non-lethal ballistics, and choosing the chief of police through an election. 

Turney currently works for the Clay Street Cemetery Commission, tending the city local Cemetery founded in 1903.  “I like it out there, no one talks back to me.

Student Reporter Jung Woo Maeng interviews mayor candidate Frank Turnery

About jmaeng

Jung Woo Maeng was born in Seoul, South Korea, and was born with Cerebral Palsy. She immigrated to the United States when she was 2 years old. Despite her condition, Jung Woo’s strong perseverance has led her to the University of Alaska Fairbanks where she pursues a B.A. in Communications with a minor in Justice. Some of her hobbies are watching movies and spending time with her dog, Greyson.