The State From the Gates of Hell

Niko DellaMaggiore
Latest posts by Niko DellaMaggiore (see all)

As of Sunday, November 25th, the deadliest US fire in the past century, otherwise known as the Northern California Camp Fire, was finally one-hundred-percent contained. While this may seem like a huge victory, it is only the first step in what will be years of reconstruction and rehabilitation for the families and communities most affected

.The fire allegedly first sparked on November 8th, furiously burning through more than 153,000 acres, and leaving more than 85 people dead, 249 people injured, and more than 2,000 people missing (Adams, 2018). The city of Paradise, California took the biggest hit, forcing nearly everyone to flee the area and seek refuge while their homes were utterly destroyed by the flames.

Melisse Basso, a California native, touched on the devastation of Paradise, saying, “I visited paradise as a child every summer with my grandparents. I have very fond memories of being there, so it’s especially devastating to see it gone.’ She then added: “The people that lived there were always very kind. They were hard workers. A lot of them didn’t have much, but they were always willing to give. It’s truly heartbreaking to see such a loving community go through hard times like these.’

Although Paradise is a small town with a population of only about 26,000, it is clear that its demolition touched the lives of many. Now, at least 52,000 people are without shelter, seeking temporary accommodations in nearby communities (Adams, 2018). In an effort to combat this dire issue, the community of Gridley, California has lent a helping hand by offering the Butte County Fairgrounds as a primary shelter for fire evacuees (Staff Reports, 2018).

The Fairgrounds have been used for the Gridley Invitational High School Basketball Tournament for the past 65 years. This year, the tournament had to be postponed, in light of the tragedy.

Penny Wickman, a lifelong Gridley resident said “I’ve lived in Gridley my entire life. We’ve held this tournament for as long as I can remember. It’s a great way for our community to come together and have a good time. I think this was the first year it was almost cancelled: just goes to show how damaging these fires were this year. Very tragic.’

Unfortunately, lack of housing is not the only hurdle these displaced families face. Those who have sought refuge in large encampments have reportedly been exposed to a highly contagious infection, known as Norovirus, with more than 120 cases confirmed and numbers rising (Bach, 2018). Symptoms of the virus  include diarrhea, vomiting, other stomach problems, fever, and body aches. Some extreme cases even require hospitalization. While numbers of infections rise, the CDC warns people to take extra precautions through frequent hand washing and sanitization of surfaces. However, with so many people packed together in makeshift shelters, proper means of sanitation are not always easily accessible.

While cleanup is expected to begin in January, it could take years before these people’s homes are restored (Ronayne, 2018). California’s insurance commissioner recently announced Wednesday, December 10th, that the NorCal Camp Fire that destroyed the city of Paradise and other neighboring towns already has more than $7 billion worth in insurance claims (Ronayne, 2018). There are currently more than 28,000 claims for residential personal property, nearly 2,000 claims from commercial property, and 9,400 claims in auto and other property (Ronayne, 2018). These numbers are only expected to rise in the coming months, as those affected settle in and start dialogue with their insurance companies.

In many cases, the cost to fully rebuild will not be covered by insurance, leaving many of these victims with nowhere to turn. This has many state officials considering whether it is time to reconsider rebuilding in these especially vulnerable areas (Ronayne, 2018). Some are suggesting that in these especially harsh times with some of the most brutal fire seasons we have seen, it may be time to consider banning construction in fire-prone areas. This would theoretically prevent the massive devastation to homes, and possibly save lives. However, it would also force thousands of individuals to relocate from their hometowns and force them to start a new life entirely.

Although the fires have been completely doused, the biggest problems are only beginning to show for the families who have already been through so much.

Sources:

Adams, Char. “Deadly California Wildfire Finally Contained After 2 Weeks as Death Toll Climbs to 88.’  PEOPLE.com, Time Inc, 26 Nov. 2018, people.com/human-interest/california-fires-contained-camp-death-toll-88/.

Bach, Natasha. “Hundreds of Camp Fire Evacuees Sickened With Norovirus.’  Fortune, Fortune, 16 Nov. 2018, fortune.com/2018/11/16/camp-fire-evacuees-norovirus/.

Reports, Staff. “Sidelines: Gridley Invitational Basketball Tournament Moved Back to Farmers Hall.’  Chico Enterprise-Record, Chico Enterprise-Record, 5 Dec. 2018, www.chicoer.com/2018/12/05/sidelines-gridley-invitational-basketball-tournament-moved-back-to-farmers-hall/.

Ronayne, Kathleen. “California Fires Insurance Claims at $9 Billion and Expected to Rise.’  PBS, Public Broadcasting Service, 12 Dec. 2018, www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/california-fires-insurance-claims-at-9-billion-and-expected-to-rise.